#08: How To Have A Difficult Conversation: 10 Practical Strategies [Podcast]
You’ve thought about it too much. It’s taken your time and attention. Perhaps you’ve lost sleep over it. Having THAT tricky conversation with a parent or co-worker or even your boss can be super uncomfortable.
How do you handle tricky conversations?
Click to Listen
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Here are ten strategies to help you navigate through a difficult conversation:
- Work on yourself first.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself. (I referred to these in this episode).
- Why do I want/need to have this conversation?
- What is my desired outcome?
- What ‘buttons’ are being pressed for me?
- What attitude do I have towards the other person?
- What incorrect assumptions might I have made about the situation?
- What am I afraid of?
- Where have I contributed to the problem?
- What previous experiences with this person/situation are influencing me?
- Why have I delayed dealing with this issue/person?
- Choose an appropriate time and place.
- Start positive.
- Get to the point.
- Use ‘I’ not ‘you’
- Include the other person.
- Take personal responsibility.
- Solve and Summarise.
- Reflect and Improve.
Post – Feedback Sandwich, refer to point 6
Resource – Winning With Parents Super Pack
Post – Change Your Tomorrow In 60 Seconds Today
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe: